Ugljan is the largest village on the island and is situated on its northwestern side, 11 km from Preko. It is divided into nine hamlets (Čeprljanda, Lučino Selo, Batalaža, Sušica, Gornje Selo, Muline,Guduće, Fortoština, Varoš) that lie between many idyllic coves and colorful ports.
The economy is based on agriculture, wine growing, olive and fruit plantations, fishing and tourism. Monuments from the Early Roman period, Villa rustica, late antique mausoleum, remains of the old Christian basilica and monumental oil mill from the 2nd century AD in the cove of Muline, testify to the early human presence in this area and make this village most popular for visitors.
Those who like swimming will be amazed by the beautiful sandy beaches, the loveliest of which are those in the coves of Ćinta, Mostir and Južnja Luka. There are several restaurants in Ugljan that offer domestic cuisine in beautiful Mediterranean surroundings.
There is an ancient Franciscan monastery of St. Jerome from 1430 with simple Gothic church from 1447. The cloister has interesting Roman columns.